Have you and your fella taken the 5 Love Languages test?
This short love languages quiz radically changed how I approach loving my husband. I always used to buy him a lot of little gifts throughout the year. I would grab a bag of pistachio nuts, a couple hymnals for his collection or a rugby shirt. He was so sweet about the gifts, but they never seemed to make him quite as excited as I expected.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing from these links won’t cost you any more money, but will give me a few pennies to run my blog.
Then we took the Five Love Languages test, and I was shocked by the results! Gifts were the lowest on his love language list, and they were highest on mine. And physical touch was highest on his list, and lowest on mine.
It’s not that he did not like the gifts, but they did not speak love to him in the way they spoke it to me. We are just wired differently.
In light of that discovery, I have cut back on the gifts I give him, and he has started buying presents for me now and then. We both feel more loved.
Love languages matter, and I encourage you to love on your fella by giving him (or doing) something that speaks to his specific love language!
Words of Affirmation
Words of Affirmation is one of my top love styles. I get all warm and fuzzy inside when someone says something kind or encouraging to me. If your fella feels loved in this way, why not write down a bunch of reasons why you love him?
- Use Window Markers to write him a message! For my Hubby’s Birthday, I bought some window markers, and wrote a message to him on the mirror in the bathroom. Sometimes it is the simple things that mean the most!
- Knock Knock What I Love About You : This little book is so much fun to fill out for your Fella for Valentine’s Day. It is PERFECT for the person who’s love language is Words of Affirmation.
- Why I Love You: A Journal of Us: This is a sweet book, and and would be a great gift alongside the Knock Knock What I Love About You book.
- Put together a photo album from the past year. For our anniversary, I designed a photo album and ordered it off of Shutterfly. It was the story of our year together, and my hubs (just my boyfriend then) absolutely loved it.
- An engraved pocket knife: every guy should carry a pocket knife, and this one has a special message on the handle.
- Write down 52 reasons you love him: put each reason in an envelope, and tell your man to open one every Monday for the rest of the year!
- Cover the house with sticky notes, and on every sticky note write one thing you love about him (I’ve done this too, and let me tell you–we were finding sticky notes for weeks. Ha!
Acts of Service
If your fella’s primary love language is Acts of Service then you could make him breakfast in bed, cook his favorite meal for supper (and do all the dishes and clean-up yourself) or even make him a coupon book with tasks and dates that he can redeem at any time! Since this type of guy feels loved by you accomplishing tasks be sure to do little things all day for him that show how much you love him.
- Give him the gift of a clean car: buy some car cleaning products, and sneak away to clean his car inside and out for him. You could even buy a few goodies for his vehicle like a car mount for his phone, a car trash can, and an air freshener.
- Considerate Coupons for Couples: I am not really into the mushy, lovey-dovey coupon books–but this funny, witty and charming little book is definitely worth a few dollars.
- Pulled Pork Shredder Claws for BBQ: Why not give your honey a good cut of meat along with these shredder claws, and tell him you will prepare the rest of his favorite meal while he barbecues the meat!
- Basket of Coffee Essentials including some kauai caramel coffee, chocolate covered espresso beans, and this hilarious “Don’t Talk Until I’ve Had my Coffee” mug. For the coffee lover make him a basket of coffee essentials along with a coupon for a daily cup of joe made by you!
- Make him breakfast in bed: Let’s face it, guys are often motivated by their stomachs. Take the time to make him a special breakfast with lots of meat (if he is an omnivore like my hubby!).
This one is pretty self-explanatory, and is my top love language. If this is your guy’s love language then one idea would be to arrange a short little scavenger hunt for your fella, with five or six little, fun gifts. You could have the scavenger hunt around the house, throughout your town, or, as I did for my Fella one year, throughout a college campus. Here are a few more ideas:
- These wonderfully crazy men’s dress socks: I love these socks so very much. Probably because they remind me of a few of my brothers. If your fella works from home or has a more relaxed dress code at work, then these socks would make a fun gift!
- Shaving gift set: If your fella likes the clean shave look (or even more importantly that is what you prefer, ha ha!) then this classic shaving set would be an excellent gift.
- Hot Sauce gift package: one of my brothers is crazy about hot sauce, and for his last birthday I gave him one of these sriracha to-go clip ons and he looooved it.
- A new book: if your guy is a reader then grab him a copy of Three Men in a Boat, The Count of Monte Cristo or Unbroken. You could even get him the movie to go along with the book!
- A collection of gifts for his workout: if you guy likes to work out as much as mine does then you might want to give him some compression tights, a wedding ring he can actually wear at the gym, this Beast t-shirt or even some wireless headphones for his music!
For the guy who loves quality time, you are going to have to set aside a chunk of time for him. He doesn’t want gifts, tasks accomplished, or words to tell him that you love him–he just wants to hang out with you.
- Take him bowling: Did I ever tell you the story of when I took my hubby, brother-in-law (who plays in the NFL) and a couple of friends bowling? My hubby and brother-in-law completely schooled us. Sigh. But it was still fun…I guess…;-)
- Enjoy a movie night at home: cuddle up with your sweetheart and watch his favorite movie. You could even buy two of these adorable popcorn tubs!
- Book a hotel at Hotwire, and spend a weekend away: Hotwire is my favorite website for getting fancy hotel for cheap prices. We have stayed at some of the most gorgeous hotels for fifty or sixty dollars a night.
- Go Skydiving: If this is your thing then more power to you! Ha ha! Skydiving for Valentine’s Day = perfection.
- Go Ice Skating: This would be the top of my list for Valentine’s Day.
- Go to a concert: if your fella is a music lover then grab tickets for his favorite band or orchestra!
This is my Hubby’s love language, and though it might be harder to find gifts for this area it is still possible! Here are a few ideas…
- Give him a massage: buy this couples’ massage book along with some natural oil (I love this sweet almond oil mix!), and a coupon for an hour massage!
- Give him a cashmere blanket: perfect for movie nights, and snuggling up underneath.
- Take him out to dinner, and instead of sitting across from him, sit next to him: sometimes when we are in a booth I sit on the same side as Hubs. The waiter might give us an odd look, but it is fun to break up the status quo and be close to each other!
- Go on a tour of your city: take your camera, and pretend you are a couple of tourists. Take pictures of everything, snuggle up close to each other, and pretend like you are in a foreign country. It’s fun!